NetApp Releases SnapDrive for Windows 6.3
NetApp has finally released SnapDrive for Windows 6.3 to GA:
It includes an amazing bit of functionality in the application consistent snapshots without the need for FC/iSCSI RDMS:
- Support for performing Snapshot copy operations on virtual machine disks (VMDKs) in an NFS or VMFS datastore, which requires Virtual Storage Console 2.0.1 or later. Please check the availability of Virtual Storage Console 2.0.1 and install it before using this feature.
- Support for space reclamation when using VMDKs in an NFS datastore
- Support for DataFabric Manager caching with RBAC
- Automatic download of the storage system access control (storacl.exe) tool as part of your SnapDrive 6.3 for Windows installation
This will allow us to remove a lot of complexity, just as soon as it supports all the different applications. There are some considerations & limitations with the VMDK support:
- SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure 3.0.1 or later (included with Virtual Storage Console 2.0.1) must be installed
- Attached VMDKs can only be basic disks
- Dynamic disks are not supported
- Multiple partitions are not supported
- The guest OS must be able to communicate with the IP address or storage system name
- configured in the SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure server
- VMDKs cannot have multiple mount points
For a first iteration I think it is a leap forward.